Friday, June 4, 2010

I Don't Wear Shoes Because They Make Me Fall Down

I should have named my last post "I Don't Eat French Fries AND I Don't Blog Either!"  I pulled a little disappearing act on ya'll but I've been reading along and I'm ready to jump, (actually hobble) back into it.  I'll explain the hobbling part later.  First something exciting- our first harvest of the season!
As I mentioned in older blog posts, my husband is quite the gardener.  We have an organic garden growing in our backyard and I was lucky enough to enjoy my dinner the other night atop some lettuce grown right in my own backyard.  It was extra flavorful and the brightest purple color.
I had some farmer's market heirloom tomatoes on top and simple balsamic vinegar.  I also had some mixed seafood as my main dish.
Of course, the fresh produce was the star of the show.  I'm so excited for the rest of the veggies growing in our garden and can't wait to share them with you!

So along with disappearing on you, I've had quite the interesting turn of events.  Earlier this week I couldn't put any pressure on my right big toe.  I didn't think anything of it, but found myself in pain on Wednesday morning and took my geriatric ass to the podiatrist (I was the only person there under 70 on a Wednesday morning).  The news was no bueno.  My right toe is messed up and I'm due to have a fairly minor outpatient surgical procedure on it this upcoming week.  Bleh!
One of the first things I thought was that I couldn't wear any shoes.
(Side note: Am I the only person who saw The Birdcage a million times and loved it?  Does anyone else but me remember Hank Azaria as the butler who had to wear shoes and tripped all over the place?)

So back to the no shoes deal.  It hurts like a mofo to put on my shoes.  I also have a cool gangsta limp, minus the cane and awesome bling and grill.  This also hinders my gym time, if you know what I mean.  Today was my first workout and I have to admit it sucked.  I'm a cardio junkie so this will be hard (TWSS) for me to get through without that endorphin rush that keeps me from going over the edge some days. 
It also means that I can't indulge or eat as much and use exercise as extra insurance.  This part kinda scares the crap out of me.
So what's a girl to do? 
I am going to take these 3-4 weeks to learn to love lifting, yoga, abs, and anything else that doesn't require standing on both feet- a time to get creative.  I'm sure it will be a challenge, but I'm all over it.
So...tell me your favorite non-cardio exercises.  I'll take anything I can get!
I'm also back to commenting and not just reading- hope to catch up with all of you!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Welcome back :) So sorry about your injury. I love how exercise gives me a little more leeway with indulgences too. But in the end, you'll be fixed up and back at it in no time.

Gabriela said...

Sorry to hear about your toe!! Hopefully the surgery goes well and you're back to normal quickly :) What about swimming as a form of cardio? No pressure on your toe and a great workout!

Mari said...

Oh I think Gabriela's idea about swimming is GREAT!

I hope you are feeling better!

HAHA I was watching Birdcage the other day...just another reason why we rock hahaha

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Welcome back! You have been missed!

Simply Life said...

oh no! so sorry to hear about your toe! When I hurt my ankle I started swimming and couldnt' believe what a good workout it was! Seriously, I felt that about 10 minutes of swimming was equal to 30 of cardio (so my workouts were also nice and short) :)

Katie ♥ said...

Awwwwwww girl, Im sorry about your injury and just stsy strong love! I know, Im a cardio junkie too, and If I had to stop I would be sad, but strength training is just as if not better than cardio! U can burn just as many calories doing weights!! So dont feel you have to restrict too much! Love ya girl! Just glad your not overdoing it! xoxo

sophia said...

Aw, I hope it heals soon! Meanwhile, have you considered water aerobics? Oh perhaps rowing. Rowing (erging) is a great form of exercise that trains your entire body...it is tough!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

So sorry that you have to have surgery on your toe!!! That sucks.

Aw, The Birdcage! Now I want to rewatch it.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! :) I hope that your foot feels better soon, yikes! Go for yoga :)