Welcome to my Blog! My name is Yelena and I started this blog in January of 2008 and have been addicted and enriched by the healthy living community ever since. My main purpose was to hold myself accountable when I was planning my wedding to my best friend in the world. I wanted to look good and starting my blog not only brought accountability, but an outlet for my interest in nutrition and many random thoughts. The wedding came and went and it was easily the happiest day of my life. I felt amazing and it had nothing to do with my weight- a first in my life.
Even before joining the blog world, I have always been interested in food, nutrition, and exercise. I grew up not exercising much and ended up unhappy and lacking confidence as an overweight teenager. We can clearly see that I had that special time to build up my sense of humor and personality! I lost about 20 pounds when I was 14 and went on a journey of ups and down, going to a low of 115 and a high of 144 (I am only 5'4" and have a very small frame). Not only was I uncomfortable going high, but I was uncomfortable in the way I went low. You can read about my weight loss story here.
What I'm All About
Like many women, I feel there is a need for balance- both in life and in food. It's hard to do and something that I have truly learned to embrace as a lifestyle. I'm not gonna lie- sometimes I feel like taking a break from the gym- and I do! I also love dark chocolate and almond butter and think it's OK to have ice cream for dinner once in a while. The hardest part of any lifestyle is maintenance and I'm still a work in progress.
Here are a few more basics:
- I love me some cardio and love running on the dreadmill, the elliptical, and the stationary bike to ridiculously ghetto hip hip
- I also lift with my guy- he got me into lifting and taught me that girls don't turn into The Hulk when they do so
- Russian was my first language and I also speak some mean Spanglish
- Dark chocolate, fruits, veggies, and coffe all make me happy. Please don't make me choose
- I used to eat a green apple at least once a day for 3 years in a row, hence the name
- I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and love every granola crunch organic bit of it