Monday, June 7, 2010

Represent, Cuba

One thing that my husband and I love about the city we live in is the extensive variety of the food choices.  Going out to dinner is something we don't do very often (usually by choice), but when we do, we love trying as much as possible.  I usually don't share my food, but this was an exception.
For this reason, Havana Restaurant was a perfect choice this weekend.  Havana is obviously a Cuban restaurant and for some reason I have always been fascinated by the Cuban culture, so getting to try the food was right up my alley.
We started with a mojito.  I have had a fascination with mojitos ever since my favorite sister-in-law took me to a Cuban bar in Mexico and I swam in the minty-sugar cane-rum goodness.  Havana is popular for its mojitos and I went with the original variety.  It was perfect and strong too. I needed help finishing it.
Next we ordered some tapas to share.  First up were Plantain Maduros with Manzana Aioli.  Although the plantains were fried, they were perfectly sweet and not too greasy.  The aioli wasn't anything to blog about, but the hubby seemed to like it.



Next came the Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Sauce.  I remember trying this dish when I last went to the restaurant five years ago and it was just as good.  The shrimp were grilled to perfection and the rice- oh my was it good!  I don't even like rice.


The star of the show had to be our last tapa- Halibut Ceviche with Mango, Black Beans, Onions, Peppers & Cilantro with Plantain Chips. Not only was it beautiful to look at, it was one of the best dishes I have had in a long time.
The music and atmosphere was a little loud and if you go to the restaurant, be prepared to sit almost painfully close to your neighbors, but if you can handle more than one mojito without wanting to go home and instantly take a nap (like someone you may know) then I'm sure you won't mind the crowd.  I am looking forward to coming back to Havana later this summer when I want a mojito and some plantain lovin.  Until I can go to Cuba, this will have to do.

If you are in the 'burbs of San Francisco, check out this restaurant- it's well worth the trip!

10 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I love mojitos. I want one for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

Wow-what a cute restaurant! The hubby and I need to get out to try new foods more often.

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

Oh, that looks so delish! I love Cuban food, it's been far too long since I've had some. May have to remedy that!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing said...

It all looks very fresh and yummy! Mojitos are the best summer drink ever in my opinion :). Love that mint!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Cuban food is fabulous. I'm drooling over the shrimp right now. Living in a city with lots of choices is the best! We have a lot of options too!

Mo Diva said...

i do love a good mojito!
I have had one ceviche in my life and it was awful but yours even tho its messy it sounds really good! you might have restored my faith in ceviche!

And i just had some disappointed mexican food... oh how i wish i were in san fran right now.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I have been to Havana (the city) and I must say that your food there looks quite authentic!! Especially the mojito ... mmmm!!!

Mari said...

OMG don't tell my dad that you are fascinated by Cuba! You have no idea how many Cuban movies and documentaries I had to watch when I was growing up!

Which is prob why I LOVE LOVE LOVE cuban food so much!

Katie ♥ said...

Plantain chips are amazing!!!! They are so yummy! THey have them at trader joes : )

Looks like a yummy place to eat, and glad you and hubby had a nice time out enjoying good food and eachother!

I love ya girl! Just wanted to say hi and hope you have a great day! xoxo

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I love mango in ceviche! Next time we're in SF I'll have to check it out. I have a list a mile long of places to eat when I'm there!