Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bike rides, food prep, and cookies

These are the phrases that can describe my day. I wasn't able to blog earlier this week because things got just too crazy. I have been really going from one day to next just waiting for the weekend. It's time for a new week and I think good things will come!

Bike Ride
We went on a wonderful, challenging bike ride this afternoon. We left at 1:30 and got home at 4:30. My legs were burning like crazy and this was a really tough ride. By the time we got home, we were starving and broke into the food as fast as we could. I didn't take pictures, but I ate carrots, hummus, Stacy's multigrain chips, cheese, and a pear...I was ravenous. I think our ride burned at least 600 cals and I needed to refuel ASAP!

Food Prep- Eggplant Stacks
I think I have talked to extremes about how busy we are during the week, but since the boy is also in Grad School, we have to be really organized or we just don't eat during the week! I try to make sure that we both have lunches and something to grab for dinner since we are both at school Tuesday (boy only) through Thursday. I spent about 4 hours in the kitchen prepping, cleaning, and cooking for next week. I made turkey loaf, sweet potatoes, tofu, chicken stir-fry, and eggplant stacks.

I thought that I would share the eggplant with you since it turned out really well.

Ingredients:
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp sundried tomatoes
  • 1/2 package chopped spinach
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
  • Salt to taste
This was really easy. All I did was chopped the eggplant, layered on a cookie sheet, salted, topped with spinach and tomatoes, topped with the second layer, spread with the sundried tomatoes and sprinkled parm, and voila (after baking at 350 degrees for 40 minutes)!

Layer 1:



Top Layer:



Tofu
Baked and marinated in Trader Joe's sesame ginger chef sauce:




On a sandwich with spinach and Asian pear slice:






The sandwich is for my lunch tomorrow and is in my fridge waiting for me tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try. I am a tofu novice so I'm not sure how this turned out...hoping it's good!


I'm sitting on the couch now and just finished eating 2 of the best cookies ever made. We have a bit of an obsession with Costco's chocolate chip cookies. They are very calorie dense at 210 cals each but they are amazing. Have a great night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Looks like you had a great dinner. I hear ya on the organization thing...it definitely takes a lot of work and planning to eat healthy!