Monday, February 2, 2009

A Very Orange Dinner and a Red Pear

My day today was filled with work and then a workout. I came fully equipped, meaning I had no water bottle, no iPod, and no lock for my stuff. I went and changed, and marched right over to the treadmill with my briefcase. It was classic. For my workout, I started out with an 11-minute run, which was interrupted and stopped when my fiance arrived. I proceeded to do another 25 minutes of run/walk when I feel like it intervals. It was nice and sweaty. After some stretching I joined the boy for some lifting- cables, skullcrushers, (OK- tell me if there is a cooler exercise name, I dare you!) and dips. The final exercise was some chest press thing that threatened to tear my arms off so I called it a night.

When I came back from the gym and set to work making myself an orange themed dinner. I don't usually eat conventional dinners and rarely plan them ahead of time, but my growling stomach came up with a plan- pumpkin oatmeal pancakes!

Now, I must warn you- I can't follow a recipe if my life depended on it. I am always compelled to give it a twist, add some of this, omit that. If you make this, feel free to mix things up.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup oats
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 eggwhite (but if you are me, then the whole egg actually falls in...oops!)
1/4 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

Frosting:
1/8 cup plain yogurt
1/8 cup pumpkin
sweetener of choice

I made these beauties by first omitting the cooking spray...when they started to sear I took them off, flipped them, and ended up cooking the rest of them in the microwave for a minute to make sure that I did not give myself salmonella poising. When they came out, I sprinkled them with cinnamon and frosted them. Yum! These pancakes are not at all sweet, and look like blobs, but they were good.


Los Pancakes:



El Frosting:




Dessert was the much-anticipated Pumpkin Pie Kashi Bar. The bloggers are not kidding when they say this thing is tiny. It was very good, almost too sweet, and that is a lot coming from me. I will use this as a dessert option. After I ate it, I was still hungry and had the red pear, ruining the theme for the night. It was not worthy of a picture.


No comments: