Friday, December 11, 2009

Free Food Always Tastes Better

Happy Friday ya'll!  We made it.  Why do I say that every single week?  I think the weeks feel like a journey to the weekend- a long, twisted journey in fact!

I came in to an email that said we had leftovers from a client meeting- majuh score!  I love food, and I love free food even more!  I ran to the kitchen when it was time for lunch and fixed this beast of a lunch:

Chicken and veggie kabob with mixed greens.  It was really good, especially the grilled tomatoes and portabello mushrooms.  I would have normally gone with the veggie kabob, but I was craving meat and went with it!
My afternoon snack consisted of Stoneyfield lowfat blueberry yogurt with a sprinkle of my trailmix for crunch:


I also had to have some dry trailmix for crunching and staying power:

I inherited all of this yogurt from hubby.  When I tried to brainwash him by showing him Food Inc. we decided to purchase this yogurt.  Big mistake- the texture and taste is much different than his old fave, Yoplait, so we compromised.  We will continue to buy organic milk, eggs, and meat, and he gets his hormone-filled yogurt.  There can be worse things!  I found the yogurt just OK.  Luckily there are only 6 or 7 containers left and I'll find plenty of ways to wolf them down!
When I got home, I had one thing on my mind:

I baked it, then reconsidered it since it was almost time for the gym.  Gym time included 2.8 miles on the 'mill, pushups, dips, lunges, back-kick things, and stretching with lots of balance yoga poses and downward dogs.


Before the gym, I also baked Espresso Pecan Brownies:

There is no recipe to this, but I made the following modifications to a standard brownie box mix:
  • Brew a strong 1/4 cup of coffee or use instant coffee grounds
  • Use 1/3 of the package and bake in a small pan
  • Sub in 1 eggwhite for a whole egg
  • Use applesauce as the oil substitiute
  • Pile on the pecans while it's baking
I made just enough for hubby to have a few servings.  I lose interest in anything I bake, but I did love the coffee smell and I'm sure I'll have some to celebrate the start of the weekend!  Also, Friday night is the first night of Chanukah!

In honor of the holiday, my company has an electric menorah lit right next to the Christmas tree.  We are very PC, no?  I appreciate the sentiment, although it has been lit for the last two weeks and the holiday starts on Friday.  It's the effort that counts!
What do you have going on this weekend?

13 comments:

Jessica said...

That is awesome that they have a menorah! It looks really pretty, too.

Mari said...

We have a Menorah at the gym =) pero I don't think it is working because I tried to test it out last week and it would not turn on. Hopefully I can get it to work mañana =)

Happy Hannukah!

(gave you shout out today on blog lol)

Anonymous said...

I think food always tastes better when it's free! We also have a christmas tree and a menorah in our office building. Fun times :)

Missy said...

Happy Hannukah! I have to find my menorah! Those brownies look delicious!

Mom on the Run said...

Happy Hannukah!

Those brownies look great. I love enhancement of box mixes :)

Great job on the workout...I need to get my but in gear tonight.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

LOL about the menorah being lit before the holiday started. It's sweet that they put it up though. hahaha.

lizzy said...

this weekend=studying :( LOVEEEE free food! hope you have a great weekend! xoxo!

Anonymous said...

happy hanukah!! yay :) i have a menorah in my dorm room that is with lightbulbs haha b/c the fire would be a safety hazard.
the brownies look delicious by the way
xoxo
shelley

Anonymous said...

espresso pecan brownies?? YUMMMMM! food is so much better when its free..true that!

Nutritious is Delicious said...

Just lots of studying this weekend. Yay?! lol Those brownies look really good and so easy! :D

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Those brownies sound to-die-for!!

This weekend I have my work Christmas party!! Dinner at a Greek restaurant tomorrow night, then back to my place for some games, munchies, and drinks!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

haha, that's funny about your hubby and his Yoplait! Consider yourself lucky he even eats yogurt, Nick refuses to eat it and I feel like he doesn't get enough calcium in his diet.

Those espresso brownie bites look fantastic. Very creative modifications!

Happy Hannukah :)

jennywinker said...

Yoplait yogurt is now made with rSBT-free milk. No added hormones to worry about.