Friday, July 30, 2010

Iron Chef- The Office Edition

That's right, I'm back!  Do I get a gold shiny star sticker?  I hope you guys have had a good week and are ready to start the weekend.
Now to get to the title of my post, I am really good at going grocery shopping, cooking lunches up for my husband (not because I'm a domestic, but because I have control and he eats anything) and bringing snacks to work.  Unfortunately, I can never plan to make myself lunch because I can't predict what I will be in the mood for the next day.  Am I the only one? 
Working in an office has the advantages of a microwave, utencils, and a fridge, so I play a little game of Iron Chef almost every day. 
Secret Ingredients #1: A smug homegrown tomato, basil, whole wheat bread, and an avocado.
I turned it into a mock caprese open faced sandwich.
The star really was the tomato and the buttery avocado made a nice sub for the mozzarella.
The Verdict: Although it was an accident, I am so making this again.  I win.

Secret Ingredients #2: A baked sweet potato, avocado, and  the remainder of my cottage cheese.
This time I heated it up and topped it with a baked potato that puts restaurant versions to shame in my little mind.

The sriracha I found in my work fridge gave this a little kick and lit my mouth on fire. Perfection.
The Verdict: I think I win again.

Sometimes planning everything out is more cost effective and less stressful, but never as fun.  I have had some flops before and my coworkers think I eat pretty nasty things, but I just shrug my shoulders and tell them I'm strange. 

Another great thing about being spontaneous?  If you don't pack your dinner for school, you get to have frozen yogurt for dinner. 

Do it.  It will make life just a little bit better.

Question for you: Do you pack your entire lunch all prepped for work?  Do you ever just wing it like me?

10 comments:

Angela said...

I wished I could prepare, but I definitely tend to wing it more often than not. That sandwich looks mighty tasty, as does everything else you posted. I'm hungry for lunch now. :)

Katie ♥ said...

Love that you had fro yo for dinner!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh and it looks so damn good!!

I love the new layout too!! love it to pieces!!

Yes its so hard with him working like crazy, and we CHERISH the weekends together, just like you guys do!

love u!!! Happy weekend!

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I usually pack it at the beginning of the week, but by the end of the week I am lazy and just wing it!

Mari said...

Damn woman you are a winner all around! everything looks great! and btw it is nice to see you blog again =)

Any updates on October????

Mo Diva said...

if i dont pack everyting I am likely to go out and eat something really really bad for me! cuz im bad. lol.

love the photos! im hungry! LOL

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I always pack my lunch, but I am not usually happy with it. Lunch is my least favourite meal of the day, and I need to think of better things to take once works starts up again for me at the end of August.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

When I was working full-time I never would bring my lunch. Instead I'd go to a local grocery store and wing it. It's fun!

Gabriela said...

Mmm I love yellow tomatoes- I had one with lunch today! I usually pack lunches, but occasionally I just wing it and see what I can find while I'm out. It kind of makes me nervous though!

AllThingsYummy said...

I definitely have trouble with lunches since I'm not big on sandwiches. Like your hubby, my husband will it anything so it's easy to pack his lunch. I've found if I bring leftovers from the night before I'll usually eat it but sometimes the Waba Grill down the street wins.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site onehealthyapple.blogspot.com
Is this possible?