Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Workout and a Family Dinner

Run
This morning started with a workout at the gym with my guy. First I had a z-bar and a piece of chocolate, then it was time to go work up some energy for the day. I'm not much of a runner but that is something I am working on. I decided on a 40 minute time limit on the treadmill and did 3 miles in 12 minutes, just keeping a pace that would let me get through the run without any walking- pretty good for me! I followed it up with a cool down walk and then quickly did some dips, pushups, and stretched.

Trader Joe's!
Next we hit up Trader Joe's to pick up some things for our dinner. We invited my parents, boy's mom and her fiance, his grandma, and my brother. Here is what we picked up for the evening and for our week:

  • green onions
  • low skim mozzarella
  • fat free feta cheese
  • assorted cheese platter
  • potato and cheddar pierogi
  • sun-dried tomato and basil hummus
  • pinenuts
  • dried cranberries
  • multigrain pita chips
  • sesame wasabi sauce (something new!)
  • bbq sauce
You can totally tell I'm a rookie- my picture is pretty interesting!












Dinner


We had marinated some lean beef and chicken last night and were ready to use our grill. The grill was actually right in our backyard- something we thought was a nice gesture by the previous owners. So this afternoon, we walked out there all excited to get grilling, tools and all...and the thing did not want to cooperate! We lit it up but it just wouldn't work. So what were we to do? We looked at each other and Mike suggested the Foreman- not something that I was excited about, but the only thing we could do to save the dinner.

In addition to the meat, here was the rest of our menu:
  • Caprese salad
  • Mixed greens with pine nuts, cranberries, and sundried tomato dressing
  • Shrimp cocktail
  • Mushroom turnover appetizers
  • Potato pierogi
  • Chopped veggies
  • Grilled asparagus, green onions, assorted peppers
  • a cheese plate with olives and grapes
  • Roasted potatoes with garlic and olive oil

Despite the little adventure, everything still turned out great! We had a great time with our guests and although I wasn't quite ready to take pictures, I told them about my blog and they seem pretty excited, although perplexed by it all the same.

Well Mike is doing the dishes and I am watching the Emmy's but it's almost my bedtime. See you all tomorrow!

No comments: