Thursday, February 12, 2009

Almost There!

I am so, so excited that the weekend is almost here. Not only is the weekend coming, but a lovely, precious 3 days! We are still working on our house and don’t have anything crazy planned, but it will still be great!

Today was a typical bizarre food day and I’m not sure it will change much because it seems to work for me right now. I packed some Cheerios and almonds for a potential snack this afternoon. I also brought the last serving of TJ’s European Yogurt. When lunch rolled around I decided to pour the yogurt right over the Cheerios- which would have been a great idea if the almonds were not Lemon Pepper flavored. What can I say…my memory kinda messed up today? Gross alert- I ate this anyways. I actually couldn’t taste a lot of the almond spices since the yogurt really cooled things down, but there was definitely a kick at the end. I would have chucked this, but I’m not made of money, kids!


I also enjoyed two camera-shy carrots. A couple hours later I had some green grapes to distract myself. On my way to the train, I missed my shuttle so I decided to walk instead of waiting another 15 minutes. My train station is right near a mall so I walked in to find something since I was already starving. Nothing looked good until I walked right past a yogurt shop, did a double-take, and ran right in. I have a little bit of an obsession with self-serve yogurt places. This place lets you pick your own flavors and toppings and it’s weighed by the ounce. My stash ended up being $4.80 if that tells you anything. I had original tart flavor, lychee flavor, and some taro flavor. They had really cute names for all of their flavors too. My toppings included about 1 tbsp of graham cracker crumbs, teaspoon of chocolate chips, granola, and almonds. I ate as I walked and by the time I got to sit down, I had devoured the whole thing. My mind knows that this is not the healthiest thing- fat free does not mean calorie free but since I am aware of the calorie punch this packs, it’s still worth it. I am guessing this baby had between 300 and 400 cals. Any ideas?

Calorie Counting

I have gone back and forth on calorie counting. I have been strict (too strict) in the past and let it rule my life a little too much. I didn’t count at all and the weight caught up with me. What works right now is doing a ballpark estimate before dinner to see where I am and if I need a bigger snack/dinner or if I need to pull back the reins a little bit. I like the estimates because it’s a happy medium. I have gone several days without counting and it doesn’t affect me very much either way, but I believe the old cliché “knowledge is power” holds true when it comes to what we put in our bodies. If we have a choice, why not examine the facts and then decide what to eat?

What works for you in calorie counting or not? How does knowing calorie counts influence your meals?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I've never calorie counted that closely but I would work in servings, starting with getting the 6 of veggies and 3 of fruits, and then working my way down from there. i'd have a bit of dairy, protein, whole grains and treat myself to a piece of dark chocolate after dinner. it was the healthiest I've ever eaten when I ate this way but I kind of became obsessed with it, now I just focus on three balanced meals a day and a possible snack in between. It's tough to figure out what the best method is, I think we'll spend our entire lives readjusting, fun... ;) Happy Friday!

Graze With Me said...

Hello, thank you for reading/commenting on my blog today! I never know who actually reads it unless there is some evidence! My motivation is mostly based on the fact that my wedding is fast approaching and I also bought a very form-fitting wedding dress so any bulges will be preserved in photos forever. I also really like knowing what I'm eating and not just eating "because it's there".