Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chunky Guac So Easy Even I Can Make It

It's summer time and nothing tastes as good as a cold drink and some appetizers to go along with it, preferably in the form of dip and chips.  For some reason, restaurants have gotten away with charging me $6 for guacamole and chips and this time I was not going to let them.  I present my guac- so easy even I could make it!

Here is what you need:
  • 2 avocados
  • 2 limes for juicing (I love extra lime flavor)
  • 1/4 diced red onion
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1 small spicy pepper
  • Salt, pepper, cilantro, and chili powder
  • 1 large tomato or 3 small tomatoes
First, cut up your ingredients- make sure that the avocado is chunky when you cut it
A lesson to you all- even if you are proud of the spicy peppers your husband grew in your backyard, do NOT take a bite just to see if it is in fact spicy.  It will save you some expletives thrown in the kitchen.
Add your remaining ingredients after you have recovered.
Close the lid and shake, shake, shake!  This is the easiest way to combine the ingredient if you are lazy like me.

 This was so easy and cheap. Here is the price breakdown:
Avocados- $1.50 for 2
Limes- $.20 for 2
Cilantro- $.25 for the portion I used
Tomatoes and peppers- free if you find a farmer who will share
Spices- check your cupboards
The grand total for this is $1.95.  Take that, fancy, expensive restaurant.

Question for you: What is your favorite thing to make at home that restaurants charge your first child's college tuition for?

11 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

That makes me want guac now. ASAP. YUM!

I love making my own baked goods but I rarely do it because they always taste delicious but look so ugly.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!! Good question-probably chocolate pie!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Oooh, that's easy ... PASTA!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston said...

Ha umm can my answer be everything? Seriously, everything is cheaper made at home -- and usually tests better too!

Katie ♥ said...

This looks awesome as ever!!!!!!!!! Yum! Love that you said even you could make it!! SO cute!

Hmmmmmmmmm this would be good as a salad topper or even in a wrap!!!!

Have a great day! Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I like my guac super chunky. This would be perfect for me. I love to order salads with my meals, but sometimes they get pretty pricey!

brandi said...

i love fresh guacamole, and the cilantro MAKES it!

Simply Life said...

oh that looks great!

TheHealthyApron said...

guacamole is definitely a home favorite to make! So super easy! I could eat it on EVERYTHING! You have inspired me to make some tonight! Thanks!

Katie ♥ said...

Checking in to say hello and hope your week is well so far! Love you! xoxo

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I love this. I did a post like this once, with an entire meal/drinks/dessert! Not to mention is was with four people. We had a full course meal, for four, and saved about $100, when compared to what we would have spent at a restaurant!

This guacamole sounds great. Sorry about the pepper (ouch!). But good for your hubby for growing one so well!