Monday, November 14, 2011

Weekly Prep Returns

Now that we have our new kitchen, I've been more in the mood to cook in a new, lovely environment.  So much so, that I even got back to my weekly prep.  I developed a bad habit of not bringing my lunch to work every day and I needed to stop that stat.  Having healthy options in the fridge will do that quickly!

The first thing on my list- egg salad.  I usually think of it as a summer food, but it's pretty awesome if you think about it.  It has protein, healthy fats, and can include some veggies if you spike it like I do.

My recipe is simple:
  • 5 medium eggs, boiled and chopped
  • Chopped celery and onions- 1/4 cup each
  • Paprika
  • Dill
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1.5 Tbsp organic mayo
  • 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
Just mix all ingredients and refrigerate for 30 minutes or eat right away. 
 Next on my list was tabouli. I also made it before here with quinoa instead.  This time I went with whole wheat cous cous.
 I used all the same ingredients, except for subbing halved cherry tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes:
  • 1 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper to taste
To round out my prep, I roasted a pound of butternut squash with olive oil, paprika, salt, and pepper.  The silly people on the package say it serves 5.  I don't think they met me.
 

After all that prep, I was ready for a snack and had some kiwis.  They have been sitting in my fridge for weeks and were so good!  Now I'm set for a few days and won't be tempted by the hot bar.
The holiday drinks at the Starbucks in my building may be a different story though!

Any new meal planning or prep ideas that have been working for you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the idea of roasted squash, egg salad and couscous. All my favorite dishes.